This is a quick and easy project if you’re in need of a gift for a new arrival. From 1m of fabric I was able to make 2 matching quilt and bib sets that I gave as gifts to two friends who were expecting baby girls.
To make the sets:
- I bought 1 metre of patterned fabric.
I found this pale blue, patchwork effect, 100% cotton poplin in Dunelm, which was 112cm wide. I thought this would be perfect as it gives the effect of being a quilt without having to sew lots of pieces together!
- I cut enough fabric off the bottom for creating 4 bibs.
I quite often make bibs for new arrival gifts as I think they are always useful and I know when my niece arrived my sister-in-law enjoyed having some bibs that were different to the ones in the shops. The pattern I use is one that was in a Village Haberdashery newsletter a while ago and can be found on their website here.
- I then cut the remaining fabric in half lengthways and straightened off the edges to create 2 rectangles for the quilt tops.
- I had enough wadding in my stash leftover from previous projects to fit the 2 quilt tops. This is a great project for using up leftover bits of wadding, but if you don’t have any leftover wadding then you will need to buy 1 metre.
- To back the quilts I used some pale blue flannelette/winceyette that I already had in my stash. If you don’t already have something suitable then you will need to buy 1 metre or you could instead back them with a towel or something like a brushed cotton sheet.
- I used some spray adhesive to stick all the layers of the two quilts together and hold them in place. I then used some coordinating blue bias binding bought from Dunelm to edge the quilts and top stitched with coordinating blue thread. And ta-dah, I had 2 finished quick and easy baby quilts.
- To finish the bibs I backed them with the same pale blue flannelette/winceyette that I used for the quilts. I edged them with some blue, lace-edged bias binding I already had. I added some Velcro for the fastening. As I finishing touch I used some scrap bits of the fabric to make fabric yoyos which I hand-stitched on to the bibs with some little buttons.
The finished quilts measured roughly 55x73cm (21.5”x28.5”). They are a good pram size and I have been told they are great for car seats too! They could also be used as a changing mat.