I couldn’t resist buying Simplicity 1624 when I saw it in a half-price sale on the Simplicity New Look website a while back. I loved the little ruffle dress with the puffed sleeves and thought my niece would look adorable in it!
However, this is one of those patterns where I struggled to see the dress in anything other than the fabric used on the front of the pattern! I therefore had a tough time finding a fabric I was happy enough with to make the dress in. I eventually came across my chosen fabric in the John Lewis January sale and bought it for £6 per metre. It is 100% cotton. Whilst it is not the same as the fabric used on the pattern it still has a vertical stripe which I liked and being from John Lewis I knew it would be a nice quality cotton.
I made this little dress for my niece’s 2nd birthday and therefore cut the pattern out in size 2 hoping there would be a little bit of growing room to at least see her through the summer. I love the detail of this dress with the 4 tiers of ruffles, puffed sleeves, and little button fastening on the back.
What I liked about this pattern:
- I like making things for little humans as you often only need a metre of fabric and you don’t have to deal with darts and things so fit isn’t a massive issue.
- The dress has a simple loop and button fastening so didn’t require a zip inserting.
- Apart from the sleeves the dress didn’t require lining.
What I didn’t like:
- Whilst the construction of the dress is reasonably straight forward there are quite a few pattern pieces to cut out (each ruffle is 2 pieces). Therefore it took a little while to get everything cut out and there was quite a lot of pressing of seams and hems involved.
- I found the loop fastening a little fiddly to get right and as a result it didn’t turn out as neat as I would have liked.
Would I make this pattern again?:
- Yes, I think this is a very cute little dress. I’ve also bought fabric to make the trousers in the pattern.
I was pretty pleased with the finished dress and according to the free copy of Tattler magazine I was flicking through a few weeks ago to see how the other half live ruffles are apparently in this season! So hopefully my niece will be right on trend wearing her ruffles!
And here’s a photo my brother took of my niece modelling her ruffles…how cute does she look?!